Today I finished my course at Santa Clara University.
This is the email I sent my amazing students. it reflects my approach to teaching. Hope you like it:
Thanks for sticking to the course and the pressure.
Congratulations on finishing the class. Thanks also for your feedback. As I sit to read your answers I wish you all the best in your other courses.
I am particularly grateful to you for your effort. Please do not give up on accounting and finance! and don’t give up on business either.
The real learning for this course is not the material, it is the following:
1. The real world is messy.
2. You never have all the information.
3. Your teacher is not always right, your book is not always good.
4. Not knowing an answer does not make you a bad person. Keep trying.
5. We all make assumptions. Write them down.
6. What you learnt from this course is not reflected in your grades.
7. Speak up, the world needs your opinion. If you think something is wrong, speak up with respect but speak up.
8. You win when you try your best, not when you know it all.
9. Deliver value, deliver value, deliver value.
10. You might not control your circumstances, but you are always in control of your attitude.
to a great future,
Alicia Castillo Holley